Friday, April 10, 2015

Essay - Nursery Rhymes

This past week, I had the opportunity to read old nursery rhymes from the British Isles. It was a blast from the past and I was so happy that I got to go back and read some of my favorite childhood stories. The unit was pretty unique because it was full of different types of nursery rhymes. For example, the first unit had riddles and songs and various other types of stories, while the second-half of the unit had jingles and classic rhymes.

What made this unit so cool was the different types of familiarity in the stories. I knew several of the stories in the unit, but I had never heard of most of them. After reading so many big stories throughout this semester, it was good to have a change of pace. My goal was to have a better understanding of readings from different cultures, and I think this unit helped get me closer toward that goal. Not only was it a fun read, but it also brought me closer to see how the European culture stories are told from generation to generation.

There were good overall notes for this campaign and I don't believe any more need to be added. I remember seeing this unit last week and I purposely chose to save it for this week to end on a good note. I wasn't let down. This unit was an easy read that had a ton to offer. If you are looking for some nostalgic classics, I would recommend checking some of these stories out for yourself.

Of course, my favorite story was Humpty Dumpty. I was pumped when I saw that story in the readings, because it was one of my favorites growing up! I can remember my baby sitters saying that rhyme to me and imagining a giant egg witty on a wall. It is such a small story, but is always so good to read.



No comments:

Post a Comment